When the weather starts getting cooler my go-to smoothie is some variation of a warm apple cinnamon concoction that I came up with a few years ago. I have it for breakfast after my celery juice, or as an afternoon or evening snack.The combination of fruit and celery gives your system a natural boost while soothing the nervous system.
This recipe is more like a formula so you can go with what you feel like or what you have in the house. You can’t go wrong!
This makes enough for 1 large or 2 small smoothies.
- 2 apples, pears or peaches (maybe 3 if they’re small) – or a combination
- 2 celery stalks (use the light green milder ones)
- 1/4 cup dried fruit – dates, raisins, figs, prunes, cranberries, or a combination
- 1 Tbs ground flax, hemp seeds or almond butter (optional but makes it a little creamy – or if you’re not having any radical fats use 1/2 a banana for creaminess)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 inch peeled ginger root
- dash vanilla (optional)
- boiled water
Put the fruit, celery, dried fruit, flax and spices in the blender. With the motor running slowly add the hot water until you reach the desired consistency. Enjoy right away!