I’ve been making this lovely simple soup often lately to take advantage of the spring asparagus prices. Here is what Anthony William has to say about this blessing of a vegetable: https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/asparagus.
Serves 6 to 8
1 onion, chopped medium fine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped medium fine
1 potato, peeled and cubed
2 bunches asparagus (about 2 pounds), trimmed and halved
vegetable broth (or water)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 cup cashews or almonds (optional)
salt and pepper
- Put onion and garlic in a soup pot with 1 cup vegetable broth or water, bring to a boil and cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes until onion becomes translucent and soft.
- Add celery and potato and another cup of broth and cook another 10 minutes.
- Add asparagus and poultry seasoning and enough broth to almost cover the vegetables. Simmer for 5 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Blend in a high speed blender in two batches for about 1 minute until completely smooth, adding cashews or almonds to the blender for added creaminess if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper, and garnish each bowl with snipped chives.