The recipe that I’m sharing today is one that I included in the recent WINTER Enlightened Eating classes. I’ve been making variations of it just about everyday. Why?
- I really love it.
- I can use farmer Jim’s special apples from a 200 year old trees at the back of his property (only $1.49/pound at the Village Market, Waldorf School).
- It’s filling, yet easy to digest.
- It’s raw AND warm.
- It takes 2 minutes to make.
- Apples have endless healing properties from cleaning the gut and settling inflammation, to taking down pathogens like bacteria and viruses, brightening the complexion, and nourishing and healing the liver. See more here: //www.medicalmedium.com/blog/apples.
- The combination of apples and celery provides the body with adrenal soothing natural sugars plus mineral salts.
- Although whole grain porridges are fine, many conditions respond well to a low or no grain diet. Also, calorie for calorie, fruit and vegetables pack a bigger nutrient and healing punch. Do you notice that when you eat grains you feel a little tired after?
Here is the basic recipe with suggested variations.
- Get some water boiling.
- Grind up 1 Tbs of flax seed and 1 Tbs pumpkin seeds in a spice grinder or blender. Alternately you can grind up a bigger batch and keep it in a jar in the fridge. Or you can just use 2 Tbs pre-ground flax seed.
- Add the following ingredients in the order given: 2 – 3 Tbs dried fruit (raisins, mulberries, cranberries, prunes, figs, apricots, etc. – or a combination), 2 celery stalks (coarsely chopped), 2 red apples (coarsely chopped), 1 – 2 teaspoons cinnamon (to taste).
- Pulse several times, and then gradually pour in about 1 cup hot water and continue pulsing until you have a slightly textured porridge. The hot water will warm up the mixture without cooking it so you still get the benefit of the living foods.
- Top with blueberries or other berries (optional) and enjoy!